[Coco] CoCo 2 16k.. Upgrade or no?

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at verizon.net
Sun Mar 18 11:41:17 EDT 2012

I honestly didn't realize that we had varying opinions.  The only
reason I could possibly see why you wouldn't want to upgrade a Coco
from 16 to 64K would be if you had one of those old "D" board Coco I's
that required "surgery" and you didn't want to risk ruining your
antique.  If I recall properly, a Coco II is really easy to upgrade
(replace chips, and maybe a solder point -- or was it a jumper or
something?  been a few years)

@Chad:  Glad you got your Coco upgraded.  By the way, is your coco one
of those ones that does NOT have Extended Color BASIC?  If so, drop me
a line.

As for finding something to do with the Coco, remember that you've got
a good relay in the cassette port.  You can measure voltages from 0 -
5V via the JOYSTK port(s) without any sort of fancy programming, and
you have a built-in D/A converter accessible out the back end of the
computer.  Go figure.  It's a great microcontroller..   Note that
doing JOYSTK conversions affects your D/A output....
             - Aaron