[Coco] CoCo 2 16k.. Upgrade or no?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Mar 14 03:36:23 EDT 2012

The ?mem command gives the amount of memory between the start of
program memory and the top of available memory--the amount of memory
Basic programs have to work with.  In a 16K CoCo without Disk Basic,
and with the default PCLEAR 4 in effect, program memory starts at
$1E01 (or $2601 with Disk Basic).  Basic reserves 200 bytes of string
space at startup, at the top of memory.  So in a 16K CoCo without Disk
Basic, available memory is $4000 - $1E01 - 200, which comes out to
8503, 16 bytes higher than the observed figure of 8487.  (The 16 bytes
are probably reserved for stack space.)  Add 16,384 (16K) to that, and
you get what ?MEM should give in a 32K/64K CoCo.

Art