[Coco] Coco on the internet

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Fri Mar 16 18:24:47 EDT 2012

Depends on your definition of "possible."  I started a basic HTML browser at
one point, but it wasn't exactly a stand-alone approach:  The browser app on
the coco would send the "internet" request out the serial port using a
protocol I made up.  A server applicaiton on the PC would then make a TCP
connection to the URL the coco requested, and when the response came back
from the real world, it would drop it back down the serial cable to the
coco.  But the coco was shielded from the harsh realities of modern
bandwidth by the PC application.  If a website returned 25k of data, the PC
application stored that, and it was fed to the coco as the coco demanded it.
So yes, the coco had a very simple html browser, but it would never have
worked in real time with modern websites without the PC spooling up the

-Robert