[Coco] PI day

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:23:19 EDT 2012

This math type is clearly deluded in a severe way.  There's a zillion
contexts where pi appears without need of doubling, in math, physics,
engineering, etc.  The area of a circle being only the most obvious.

The idea of adding an extra stroke to the symbol for a well-known
constant to indicate a convenient modified version does have precedent
in physics, though, and even involves pi:  the "reduced" Planck
constant, equal to Planck's constant divided by 2 pi.  Planck's
constant (the ratio of a photon's energy to its frequency) is denoted
by h, and the reduced version by "h-bar", an h with a little crossbar
drawn across the upper stem.

Happy Pi Day!

Art