[Coco] PI day

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Wed Mar 14 10:58:20 EDT 2012

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: gene heskett

  On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:06:17 AM Frank Pittel did opine:

  > I'd like to wish a happy PI day to all!!
  >
  > The Other Frank

  Chuckle.  I was just reading a plea from a math type that we need a new
  symbol because pi is wrong, everyplace it is used except for circumference,
  it has to be used as 2pi, so there is a move afoot to define a new 'tau' as
  being equal to 2pi, suggesting its symbol to be a 3 legged pi symbol.  Sure
  gets rid of all those 2pi's in the math.  I doubt it will catch on though.

  Cheers, Gene
  --
  Just think of all the calculators and computers that would need to be reprogramed to include the new 2pi symbol and key!

  Bruce W.