[Coco] DW4 with CoCo 2

Mike Rowen mike at bcmr3.net
Tue Mar 13 16:22:56 EDT 2012

The cable is available at cloud9tech or you can build one yourself. You do not need a floppy or controller or physical disk (unless you wish to). You do load HDBDOS, which can be done easily through the casette cable by playing the DW provided audio file. It takes about 30 seconds.

I run DW4 server on a Linux laptop. I am unaware of any limitations with Windows versions, though there may be some. It also runs on MacOS.

You will need either a serial port on your PC or a USB to RS-232 serial adapter.

It really is worth the time to set it up. There is a huge number of files on the Internet in dsk format.

I primarily use my DW with NitrOS9 and you can boot right from the PC with no floppy system. DW includes NitrOS9 images for this purpose.

You could also autoload HDBDOS from a ROM or a SuperIDE flash or a floppy disk if you desired. Lots of options. However, being able to access your PC with bare minimum hardware is a great feature of DW.

Cheers,
-Mike