[Coco] Color Error in VCC

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Mar 9 09:25:44 EST 2012

Bill Pierce wrote:
> Mine is giving white background on the graphics set. It could be something to do with the
> version of windows and the palette set being used by windows itself. This laptop is running
> XP. Or it could be something to do with the graphics card. My question is why does it show
> white on VCC and black on every other emulator I use? Could VCC somehow have it's palette's
> being initialized to the wrong startup colors? I will check this out on my big machine when
> I get home next week and what colors it shows because I know laptops can do screwy stuff
> sometimes. Whatever the condition causing this, Luis has the same conditions.

Bill,
You have found the answer. I can force my WinXP system to produce the white
background by forcing a non-standard Windows color set.

Right click on the Windows Desktop and select Properties. When you get the
Display Properties window, select Appearance. Note that there is a Color Scheme
selector which has a drop-down list. As an example, I selected 'Red, White, and
Blue (VGA)' and got the same color problem with VCC you describe; correct colors
but on a white background. Even 'Windows Classic', messed up VCC.

Select the color set 'Windows Standard', and I think you will get the correct
colors. That works on my system.

I also tested MESS with alternate Windows color sets and MESS is not affected.
MESS colors do not get changed. That implies that the code in VCC does not use
an optimal routine for calculating colors and must make assumptions about what
Windows is doing.