[Coco] serial cable tricks for drivewire?

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Thu Mar 1 23:48:58 EST 2012

Lots of good ideas here and in other emails, I'll be experimenting when I
have time, probably starting with some twisted pairs and seeing if that
alone can improve things.  I actually have a PC with 10 serial ports in it,
so I'm inclined to go serial all the way.  I've heard of the serial over
ethernet but have never really understood it, I might check into it if all
other avenues fail.

I haven't had a chance to look at the new DW4 server, great news that it
supports simultaneous connections.  Here's another question:  I noticed
right away with DW3 that both the "physical" device # command (i.e. DRIVE
#2) and the "logical" drive # (i.e. DRIVE 10) both allowed any value on the
coco side of things.  So I set up my server app to support 256 DRIVE #'s (so
256 DSK compilation files) each of which contained 256 traditional DSK
images at the expected offsets.  If you do the math on 256 "devices" X 256
DSK's per device, each DSK containing 160k or so of data, you get to about
10+ gigs of storage available to any coco accessing the server.  So that
registered on my scale as "pretty cool."  Does DW4 server also support any
number of disks in this fashion?

-Robert