[Coco] serial cable tricks for drivewire?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:33:16 EST 2012

You can get quite a good distance with USB, and then only use a serial
adapter and serial cable for the last X feet.  You might find it's
reliable at some ratio between the two (neither usb or serial can do
the full 50 ft on their own most likely).
Also, serial to IP (ethernet) conversion allows hundreds of feet via
ethernet.  You can find old termservers or cisco routers capable of
serial<->ip cheap on ebay.  Some have lots of serial ports.  I picked
up a 16 serial port box for $30.
One last note, the DW4 server also allows multiple cocos and disk image sharing.