[Coco] Rainbow Magazine!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 22:21:10 EDT 2012

Those PDFs are all OCR, but its important to note that unlike Tim's
project which provides perfect text verified by humans, these are the
result of an automated process and are not perfect.  The goal was to
be "good enough" that full text searches returned fairly accurate
results, not perfection.  You generally will not be able to copy and
paste code and expect it to run without some editing, for example.

One thing I think many people miss is that the search box on
CoCoCoding does do a full text search through all the Rainbows, the
Hot CoCos, other magazines, the dozens of manuals and programming
texts available there, etc.  It isn't perfect but I still find it
quite useful.

The PDFs on CoCoCoding are generally 1/10th or less the size of the
originals, which is why the entire collection is 3GB instead 40.
There is an unavoidable loss of quality from the originals, but I
tried to balance it so they are still enjoyable.  In many cases the
text enhancement done during the processing actually makes the text
easier to read than the originals IMHO.

If you're looking for the most accurate, high DPI scans and nice
looking pictures, these are not what you want.  If you want to read or
search them (or are concerned about space) they might be.