[Coco] An MC68HC11A1P Based Computer Idea

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 22 15:53:50 EDT 2012

On 7/22/2012 2:17 PM, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2012 at 9:17, john dumas wrote:
>
>> I'm really very certain that the use of "6811" and "6812" is just a
>> sloppy way of referring to
>> the HC chips...........Many folks, even MOT folks, have done that in the
>> past..........
> That maybe true. I also maybe confusing the HC05 and the HC11. After some thought and a
> bit of research I found that the M6805 was ofered in both MC6805 and MC68HC05. Now
> almost totally replaced by the MC68HC08 and its variants. I may have been thinking of the
> HC05 migration and associated it to the HC11. With the advent of numeric and data paging
> the MC146805E was the processor then in the early 80's. Also I remember that the
> MC146805E was used early in numeric paging. I think it was around the mid to late 80's that
> the HC11 took off in paging. I know for the alpha line of pageers and for Flex Protocol we
> used an HC05WJ as a DSP processor and then a HC11PH8 as a backend processor.
Yep. The 05 series started with NMOS. Parts like the 'P2 (28 pin) and
R2(40 pin), evolving to
NMOS 705 versions. These were followed by the 1468xx series using early
CMOS process.
Finally, the HCMOS versions finished out the line. (Still have an HMOS
'05 running my home grown
driveway gate controller. HA!!! Talk about ancient.......The GATE, not
me! Well, OK me too.....)

You are certainly correct about all the 05s & 11s used by the comm
division. There was even a
comm division design engr in our austin design center, using the same
tools we used. But, to
create special variants just for MOT usage in their products. Maybe some
of those you used
were created that way.
Lots of "funny suffixes" to the part numbers that I never knew what they

cheers,
johnd