[Coco] An MC68HC11A1P Based Computer Idea

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jul 20 08:38:36 EDT 2012

John

I am relying of memory here and stuffed away in a box in a deep dark closet i used to have
several catalogs from teh early 1980's. I seemed to remember that originally there was
marketed and labled a series of parts call MC6811 with no HC in the part number. It may
have been CMOS. Lacking at the first the typical "HC" in the part number led to believe that it
was based off of the standard used NMOS technology of the time. The very first CMOS
production micro that I remember Motorola having available was the old MC146805E
processor. That was around by 1981. It could only access 2K of memory due to the 12 bit
address bus.

You may very well be correct. Though the literature of the time listed a 6811 and not a
68HC11. This at least suggests two different parts and possibly two different technologies.
Back in the 80's I always saw Motorola usually prefixed the part number either with "14" or
added HC after the "68" with alltheir CMOS computer chips and peripherals as I remember.
That may very well have been an oversight of the marketing department and had little to do
with engineering.

james