[Coco] Arduino as a Mouse/Keyboard interface?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Jul 1 17:27:13 EDT 2012

On Jul 1, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Frank Swygert wrote:

> The new Arduino Leonard board has direct USB interfacing, and a USB keyboard and mouse can be plugged in and translated. Wouldn't this make a great replacement for a Puppo or similar PC keyboard adapter for a CoCo? I'm not really a programmer, but it seems that it should be easily doable from what I remember about how the Puppo adapter worked. Would just take writing the correct program for the Leonard and making a cable...

This is actually why I was asking about CoCO keyboard matrix a few weeks before CoCoFEST. I had planned to do this very thing and bring one to the Fest. But, I still have not gotten to it.

Yes, it sounds possible with the $30 (less, discount) Arduino boards. There is code available to read USB keyboard, and it has I/O lines to hook to the keyboard port. I was thinking it may have been one or two lines short, though. I did not think of a mouse, but it might have analog outs that could do the same thing for a mouse.

It would be very cheap. RadioShack even sells them.

	-- Allen