[Coco] Cleaning Coco disks (gene heskett) (Andrew)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun Jan 22 13:26:56 EST 2012

All,

Thank you for taking the time on this.

@Bill Pierce: While that is a drive cleaning kit, it looks like it was
made for 3.5" floppies; I was thinking a 5.25 floppy kit, but I'll stick
to gene's advice on avoiding such disks for any drive as too abrasive
(which is what I've heard about them). Maybe such a kit could get me the
alcohol (maybe Fry's Electronics has something in MG chemicals section -
I see the MG offers 99% pure isopropyl, which I think is the same that
you see in video/tape cleaners?). Thanks for help.

@Robert Gault: As noted above, I'll keep the advice on cleaning; I'll
also avoid trying to align any of the drives, since I certainly don't
have any of the special alignment disks (I was kid when I remember
seeing them advertised though). I had thought the disks had a strobe
pattern on them, but you say that's one the drive - ok. What would be
the best way to set this speed to 300 rpm? I seem to recall something
about using a fluorescent lamp to do this from somewhere - something to
do with the 60 hz flicker? I've got an AKAI turntable that has a speed
adjustment system like that - it uses a small neon lamp next to the edge
of the table, and you adjust a little potentiometer to vary the speed
until the pattern holds still. I assume something like this is also done
with a floppy drive...?

@gene heskett: Is the "paint thinner" alcohol (menthanol, I'd imagine)
more-or-less as good as anything from MG? I'll definitely look into
those swabs as well; I have some acetone meant for cleaning up a
mini-mill (something I have vowed to get to this year - its been sitting
in red-grease for a couple of years now with a bag over it) - and such
swabs might come in handy for that as well.

That head-stepper circuit sounds like it would be interesting to build;
but I guess I would need a calibration disk to see the track signals on
the scope, right? I do know how to use my scopes (one's a Tek 2213, the
other a Fluke PM3380B Combi-scope), though they don't see as much use as
I'd like (I happened across each in a "right price at the right time"
kind of moment). I'd only need to know -where- to hook the probes up
(the Trk0 detector would be easy - but where to read the head signal
from, off the top of my head I would imagine some test point on the
drive - maybe it's clearly marked?). The scope traces might be
interesting to look at - but still, I'd need one of those special disks,
right?

Probably not possible - but could such a disk be made on a drive (with
the CoCo or a PC, maybe) that is "known good"? That sounds daft to me; I
wouldn't expect it to be useful for "exact" calibration, but could be
used for "close enuff" calibration...?

I do remember ads for those calibration disks you speak of from Dyson,
but at the time I was a kid, and my parents weren't going to buy me
something like that (not that I'd have had a clue then how to use it).

I don't know if I would have gone to such trouble for a CD-ROM drive,
unless it was something that would only read certain disks, or I was
flat broke; I would have probably tried something from Fry's Electronics
(at one time - not sure if they still do - they sold belts and other
parts for VCR and cassette repair), or something from a surplus dealer;
maybe even tried a belt out of another broken drive (I keep a few around
my shop now - for what real reason, I don't know).

Usually, when something on my computer breaks, I try something out of my
shop if it will work (I have ton of PC computer parts), and if not, time
for an upgrade (bank account allowing) - ;)

While I have Roger's DrivePak and SerialPak (future-proofing my system,
I suppose?), I figure that whatever I can do and learn to keep the old
floppy era around (and my drives working) is worthwhile.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona