[Coco] HDB-DOS error - HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 23:52:59 EST 2012

Any ideas why HDB-DOS reports "HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND" though all drives work with NITROS9?

TC^3 controller, disks are: 0 - hard drive, 5 - ZIP drive, 6 - CD-ROM

HDB-DOS and this setup worked okay a couple years ago.  Now it doesn't find either the hard or ZIP drives.  I tried running wizard.bas from a new copy of the HDB-DOS disk.  Still doesn't find drive, but now it gives me 15 seconds to choose to restart, boot os9 and something about drives 0 through 3.

NITROS9 is working, but the weird thing is that at first it wouldn't boot, then things started working a bit at a time. This took place over about a week.

- First didn't recognize any SCSI drive.
- Then it would boot to the hard drive from a very few of my boot floppies, worked with the hard disk (/s0) but trying to access the others gave error 246 - NOT READY, and then /s0 also gave error 246.
- Next /s5 and /sc6 could be accessed, but only if system was booted from the Superdriver disk.
- Eventually all drives work and system boots from any of the boot floppies.

Another odd thing is that only once did the system time get set from the clock in the TC^3.  Every startup before and after put us back in January 1900.  This evening it started setting the time, though I hadn't changed anything (including the floppy from which it booted).