[Coco] OS9 vs Flex

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 2 07:41:26 EST 2012

On 1/2/2012 3:09 AM, John Kent wrote:

> On 2/01/2012 9:56 AM, john dumas wrote:
>> On 12/31/2011 6:10 PM, John Kent wrote:
>>>
>>> There is interrupt driven printer spooling. The disk drivers set the
>>> interrupt flag so that the interrupts won't interrupt the disk
>>> read/write sector operations.
>> Righto.
>> Interrupts can be requested from several sources.
>>
>> Still a single user system, though..........Like original DOS,
>> CP/M etc which had interrupt capability....And still Single User.
>>
>> Still and all, I did like it - in it's time and place.
>> Until the downside of large disks and flat file structure
>> continued to bite me in the tailpipe.
>> That problem was later addressed by programs like
>> "heir", but by that time I had moved on........
>>
>> Memories.........sigh
>>
>> cheers,
>> johnd
>
> The point of designing the FPGA 6809 was to learn a little about CPU
> architecture. You can still demonstrate principle of multiprocessing
> and caching with a simple 8 bit CPU. I'm not sure if it is possible to
> turn the 6809 design into a Harvard architecture where it can be
> accessing data at the same time as it is fetching instruction opcodes
> out of cache.
> John.

Interestingly, the 6804 was a Harvard architecture pretending to be a
6805 (Von Neumann) and doing a subset of 6805 instructions.
Way too small and dumb to have a cache though!!

Wouldn't need an FPGA /CPLD to recreate an '04............maybe a few
TTL gates............HA!

And speaking of multiprocessing with simple machines:
While at TI in the 70s, we were making single chip 4-bit calculators and I
got the idea of how to slave a couple together to "multiprocess" (sorta).
Being young and naive, it became my first patent application.
Denied, of course. Not a new an idea as I had though.
Silly me!

Still kinda it's neat to make simple machines a tad "smarter"........
I like fooling around with ideas like that, even if impractical.

Cheers & a Happy New Year,
johnd

*//*
<https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&sa=X&ei=8p4BT6zME4Xs2QW04NCJAg&ved=0CCQQvwUoAQ&q=von+neumann&spell=1>