[Coco] Off Topic but neato "Tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer causes big stir on launch day"

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 29 15:31:47 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 03:29:56 PM Boisy G. Pitre did opine:

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:
> > Ok Steve (Bjork)... you went there... now I will too... :-)
> > Over the past years, I watched many, many disscussions of a "Coco 4"
> > take place. As Steve said, there are those who say anything else is
> > just an emulation... First I have to say this... The Color Computer 3
> > was NOT a Color Computer 2. It was (for the most part) basically just
> > an emulation of the Coco 2... and a VERY bad one at that!! 50% or
> > more of the Coco 2 software would NOT run unmodified on a Coco 3.They
> > had different graphics, different memory, different chips, and for
> > the most part, different capabilities. That's why they called it The
> > Coco "3"...  and not a "Coco 2.2" or "Coco 2A". A step forward. If
> > we, as the Coco Community, want to ever see a progression of the
> > Coco, it WILL be in emulation. That is as far as the Coco 3 part
> > goes. <TIC> "Nitro Color Computer 4: 10 Core Pentainium 240bit
> > 500ghz, 99 giggabytes SDDR 25 Ram, 1,000,000x1,000,000 graphics
> > resolution supporting up to 100,000,000 colors, up to 25x100
> > terrabyte solidstate HDs (only while running NitroglySO9 v6809.0.E),
> > 12xSFUSB (SuperFirey USB) ports, 4xSRS 10.1 Sound cards for
> > Multi-Track recording, Super ComposoRGB TV output (for large
> > flatscreen monitors and Drive-in movie theaters) , built in 10 port
> > network card supporting Drivewire99... and the list goes on... Just
> > type <MODE=Coco3> and full Coco 3 emulation starts wth 110% backwards
> > compatibility!! Type <MODE=Coco2> and your whole system crashes while
> > running Zaxxon :-) Tandy Joystick port card $20 each (CocoMouse
> > driver required), joysticks not included. All on 4 linked & hotrodded
> > FPGAs. All Parts available from Tandy National Parts (in kit form
> > only, soldering required) I (for one) would download the source from
> > MiroSourceforge.commie (nighty builds in Assfault.wad form
> > availlable) and compile it in my Super-Extended-Visual Basic09
> > Studio...
>
> Bill,
>
> This sounds more like a CoCo 3*10^9. :)
>
> Hey, do whatever your heart desires.  Make your own dream "CoCo 4"
> however you see fit.  If you want other people to buy into your idea,
> then try to sell it.  If it doesn't sell, then either retool your idea,
> or abandon the idea of selling it.
>
> I personally don't see a Pentium running a CoCo emulator as anything
> near a CoCo 3 or 4 or whatever.  That's my view.  I would not shell out
> money to buy one.  Again, that's MY view.
>
> So what would *I* buy?  Anything that has a 6809 on it, or an FPGA that
> can be configured to have a 6809 core on it.
>
> I know there are others who aren't aligned to my view, and that's ok.

And I would probably buy that FPGA whose instruction translator included
the 6309 bits.  The 63C09 is what the coco3 should have had in it, and mine
does.

Another $0.02... :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Sic transit discus mundi
	-- From the System Administrator's Guide, by Lars Wirzenius