[Coco] Off Topic but neato "Tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer causes big stir on launch day"

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Feb 29 14:51:36 EST 2012

On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:

> Ok Steve (Bjork)... you went there... now I will too... :-)
> Over the past years, I watched many, many disscussions of a "Coco 4" take place. As Steve said, there are those who say anything else is just an emulation... First I have to say this... The Color Computer 3 was NOT a Color Computer 2. It was (for the most part) basically just an emulation of the Coco 2... and a VERY bad one at that!! 50% or more of the Coco 2 software would NOT run unmodified on a Coco 3.They had different graphics, different memory, different chips, and for the most part, different capabilities. That's why they called it The Coco "3"...  and not a "Coco 2.2" or "Coco 2A". A step forward. If we, as the Coco Community, want to ever see a progression of the Coco, it WILL be in emulation. That is as far as the Coco 3 part goes.
> <TIC> "Nitro Color Computer 4: 10 Core Pentainium 240bit 500ghz, 99 giggabytes SDDR 25 Ram, 1,000,000x1,000,000 graphics resolution supporting up to 100,000,000 colors, up to 25x100 terrabyte solidstate HDs (only while running NitroglySO9 v6809.0.E), 12xSFUSB (SuperFirey USB) ports, 4xSRS 10.1 Sound cards for Multi-Track recording, Super ComposoRGB TV output (for large flatscreen monitors and Drive-in movie theaters) , built in 10 port network card supporting Drivewire99... and the list goes on... Just type <MODE=Coco3> and full Coco 3 emulation starts wth 110% backwards compatibility!! Type <MODE=Coco2> and your whole system crashes while running Zaxxon :-) Tandy Joystick port card $20 each (CocoMouse driver required), joysticks not included. All on 4 linked & hotrodded FPGAs.
> All Parts available from Tandy National Parts (in kit form only, soldering required)
> I (for one) would download the source from MiroSourceforge.commie (nighty builds in Assfault.wad form availlable) and compile it in my Super-Extended-Visual Basic09 Studio...

Bill,

This sounds more like a CoCo 3*10^9. :)

Hey, do whatever your heart desires.  Make your own dream "CoCo 4" however you see fit.  If you want other people to buy into your idea, then try to sell it.  If it doesn't sell, then either retool your idea, or abandon the idea of selling it.

I personally don't see a Pentium running a CoCo emulator as anything near a CoCo 3 or 4 or whatever.  That's my view.  I would not shell out money to buy one.  Again, that's MY view.

So what would *I* buy?  Anything that has a 6809 on it, or an FPGA that can be configured to have a 6809 core on it.

I know there are others who aren't aligned to my view, and that's ok.