[Coco] Booting....

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 27 08:39:28 EST 2012

On 26/02/2012 10:22 AM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> It took some work, but now NitrOS-9 is booting on the Atari XEGS using
> Aaron's DriveWire 4 server at 38.4kbps:  http://liber809.blogspot.com/

Once again, nice work Boisy! Bet you can't wait for the proto PCBs to arrive...

After reading your blog, and knowing very little about the XEGS, I started
to Google around, interested in learning more about it, in particular the
state of emulation for the system.

Initially I found information difficult to come by, and was wondering why
there was so little interest in the XEGS. But more digging revealed the XEGS
is basically a repackaged XE65, which is in turn essentially an 800XL. Once
I learned this, I discovered Atari++ can emulate an XEGS.

Unfortunately, whilst there are remnants of pages devoted to a couple of
'Atari-in-an-FPGA' projects, it would appear that no-one has gotten
particularly far with them. That's a pity, because prototyping your Liber809
(oh dear, I just got the name!) in an FPGA would've been cool.

Anyway, good luck with it and keep up the blog!

Regards,