[Coco] OS-9 Level 1

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 27 08:20:29 EST 2012

On Monday, February 27, 2012 08:12:43 AM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking that NitrOS-9 has not been tested properly!
>
> For a 80 Track 2 Sided 5.25" floppy dns must equal 3 to be able to read
> 48 TPI 5.25" disks. (OS-9 Feature)

Correct, that was, if the drive finds a 1 disk in it, the driver will
double step the drive.  This is a READ-ONLY feature, you will trash that
disk if you try to write to it in that double track density drive.  The
driver itself really should set that drive as read-only but doesn't.
rb1773.dr maintainers please take note.

> For a 80 Track 2 Sided 3.5" floppy dns should also 3 but most people use
> 1.

This is correct, dns is 1 on a 3.5 as it has only 1 tpi, 135.