[Coco] New Overhauled CoCoBoot / Nitros9 Lizard

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun Feb 19 08:31:13 EST 2012

Brett Gordon said the following on 02/18/2012 03:44 PM:
> Good news Chris!  I think me and Robert Gault found a 6309 bug in the
> v2 wizard.  there's a version 3 wizard on SF now.  I'm a wee surprised
> that CoCoBoot didn't find the OS9Boot file on the RBF... I guess LSN0
> works just as well.  CoCoboot's directory scanner is indeed
> case-sensitive, btw.. and it expects "OS9Boot", and the same with
> "ccbkrn".

	Found the problem. The directory entry had extra characters after OS9Boot. The
high bit of the 't' was set (indicating the end of the name in OS9), but, maybe
the Forth name parsing was looking for a 0 to end the name (like a modern
string). Anyway, editing the directory entry made the booting from RBF work!
Neat Stuff!!

> If CCB mentions something about a "boottrack" then the loan
> failed, and it's just resorting to the old-school boot-track loading.
> If you do a "mdir" in os9 you should see no "krn" module, and instead
> "ccbkrn", further down the list... (and CF IDE Os9 doesn't display
> ccbkrn at all!)

	CCBKrn does show up in 'mdir', but, like you say, after the bootfile entries.

> If you get into actually programming with CCB then there's way more
> possibilities... you can have any file name for your "OS9Boot", and
> the same with ccbkrn.
>
> Also if ccb boots using the new method, you should get a 32 column
> screen with yellow-ish bootup... the the screen shots on SF.
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Christopher Hawks<chawks at dls.net>  wrote:
>> Brett Gordon said the following on 02/15/2012 04:10 PM:
>>>
>>> OK... after that last false start here we go again.  CoCoBoot has been
>>>
>>> re-engineered to be kinder, gentler to the FDC and IDE controllers.
>>> This new version of the "lizard", I mean *wizard*, now boots in a
>>> total different way.  No more automagic probing of hardware as this
>>> was (1) taking up precious boot-track space, (2) Made HDB-IDE
>>> partitions particularly difficult to setup, and (3) driving me insane.
>>>
>>> The CCB core has been updated to ver .51a, but the "noswiz" package
>>> has precompiled binaries for your consumption.
>>>
>>> To get:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cocoboot/files/noswiz_v2.zip/download
>>>
>>> Differences to last lizard:
>>>
>>> 1. There are now specific drive images depending on where you'll be
>>>     booting the wizard from the first time.
>>> 2. NOSWIZ asks you some more questions about your IDE controller (if
>>>     you have one)
>>>
>>> Willard:  I tested with my SuperIDE on both ff50 and ff70... it works.
>>>
>>> Christoper:  Works fine with Xroar... just as slow and as ungly as my
>>> real CoCo2 :)
>>>

>>> Enjoy,
>>>
>>> Brett M. Gordon
>>> beretta42 at gmail.com
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>         Yay!!! Works on my real CoCo3! It does complain that it can't find
>> the bootfile, but, does work after trying LSN0. (My bootfile is in the root
>> directory and named OS9Boot. Don't know if it is fragmented or not, it was
>> built by os9gen.)
>>
>> Cool Stuff!!
>>

>> --
>> Christopher R. Hawks