[Coco] The Mark Twain of operating systems...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 15 14:45:33 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 02:10:33 PM Patrick Wilson did opine:

> I dont know if this is what you were refering to or not, i suspect it
> is.   Here are a couple generic links for both ARM and LLVM.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Level_Virtual_Machine
> http://llvm.org/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

Running a C++ compiler on a coco would to me, be a bit masochistic.  I just
spent nearly 2 hours last night, downloading the required dependencies to
build the latest openscam tarball on my milling machines computer which was
booted such that only one of its 2 core atom cores was available for normal
use.  Written largely in C++, the compile process was one of first building
the compiler tools and then compiling the object, a slightly over 5
megabyte undertaking.

On a 1.8 Ghz atom, this was nearly 2 hours, which may have been worth it
had the code worked, but typical of C++ pre-alpha stuff, it was dead stable
but didn't work, at least on that box.

Based on that, if I had written vfy in C++, it would take 2 to 4 hours to
build it on the coco, and likely wouldn't have been near as fast as the
assembly version I published.  asm can build it in way less than a minute
if the listing file is turned off.

Based on that, porting gcc seems like a more productive use of ones time.
OTOH, with all the extra's that have been written to aid our c compiler, it
makes decent code, stable code and does it in a quite reasonable amount of
time.  Yes it has limits, bit fields being the most obvious but I've never
found that to be a show stopper.

IMO the tools should make the most of the resources they have, and even a
gcc port to the 6x09 would probably wind up considerably more 'bloated' and
likely broken up into far more pieces needing to be chained together by
something like cc2.5.2 to get the job done, similar to what now comprises
the "full kit" for our c compiler.

Far too many have been burned trying to use the distro disk versions of it
however, one of Paul Jerkatis's downfalls.  He had no understanding of the
machine code under the level of the compiler at all. There was quite a bit
of breakage there anytime the src files went past a nominally 10k in size
barrier, primarily in the original c.prep, and IMO in the packages ability
to code for bit shifts as it used the 1 bit at a time, shifted thru 16
bits, when it should have done a modulo 8 on the number and a register tfr
for the first 8, dozens of times faster.  That however is just a pet peeve
of mine, but it impacts the objects execution time, a lot.  By using that
in rzsz, it got nominally 220 cps faster!  Since without it, it was only
good for a little over 450 cps, that to me was a measurable, worth my time
to hand edit its .a files and fix it, improvement.  If you have an rzsz
newer than 3.17, you are running it.

My $0.02.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gumperson's Law:
	The probability of a given event occurring is inversely
	proportional to its desirability.