[Coco] Coco 1/2 RF faint?

Mike Rowen mike at bcmr3.net
Mon Feb 13 21:14:13 EST 2012

I'm sure others will reply to you on this. I find that the RF quality
varies from CoCo 2 to CoCo2. My CoCo 1 provides the best RF signal of those
I've connected to a TV. RF signal is of course subject to more noise and
signal loss than connecting via a composite signal. Long ago, I had a
composite board for a CoCo 2 which provided a far superior signal using a
TV. It also varies from TV to TV. The CoCo 3 composite signal is much
cleaner than the CoCo 2 RF signal. In short, a lot more happens to an RF
signal than a composite signal, so in the process of RF modualion and
demodulation, colors can appear washed out, particularly black on a color
background. That said, John's new game looks awesome on a good TV. I played
it on a CoCo 2 on a 25" TV. :) To improve signal quality, use a good
shielded video cable and ditch any switch boxes. Use an RCA to F-59 adapter
on your TV (provided it's a 75 ohm input vs 300 ohm).

Cheers,
-Mike