[Coco] Fahrfall is on Hack-A-Day!!

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Feb 4 09:18:03 EST 2012

Wayne Campbell wrote:
> It runs in my version of MESS, but I have one major problem. I am using a laptop
> computer, and the numeric keypad is a subset of the alpha keys that requires me
> to hold the fn key while using them. I never use the numeric keypad, and am
> therefore unable to use those keys to manipulate the man in the game. Repeated
> attempts to reprogram the "joystick port" to use the arrow keys has proven to be
> futile, as it will allow me to set 2 of them, but the other 2 repeatedly revert
> back to the numeric keypad codes.
>
> The game seems to be fine. I like the way it looks, and if I could play it I
> believe it would be alot of fun. If someone on this list knows how to make the
> joystick port settings use the arrow keys, I would appreciate the assist.
>
> Wayne

I just tested the alpha program with MESS .144u7 and have been able to use both
mouse and keypad for motion. There are several settings that need to be made to
the .ini and .cfg files for a keyboard mouse and it is much easier to do this
manually than through MESS.
The info below still uses the mouse button or numberpad0. If that is not
suitable, the button needs to be reprogrammed.

1) Game won't work with MESS coco3 or coco3h
2) Game works with with MESS coco2b or lower.

3) coco2b.ini should have the line:

#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
mouse_device              keyboard

4) coco2b.cfg should include the lines:

         <input>
             <port tag=":joystick_rx" type="P1_AD_STICK_X" mask="255"
defvalue="128">
                 <newseq type="standard">
                     MOUSECODE_1_XAXIS
                 </newseq>
                 <newseq type="increment">
                     KEYCODE_RIGHT
                 </newseq>
                 <newseq type="decrement">
                     KEYCODE_LEFT
                 </newseq>
             </port>
             <port tag=":joystick_ry" type="P1_AD_STICK_Y" mask="255"
defvalue="128">
                 <newseq type="standard">
                     MOUSECODE_1_YAXIS
                 </newseq>
                 <newseq type="increment">
                     KEYCODE_UP
                 </newseq>
                 <newseq type="decrement">
                     KEYCODE_DOWN
                 </newseq>
             </port>
             <port tag=":joystick_lx" type="P2_AD_STICK_X" mask="255"
defvalue="128">
                 <newseq type="standard">
                     MOUSECODE_1_XAXIS
                 </newseq>
                 <newseq type="increment">
                     KEYCODE_RIGHT
                 </newseq>
                 <newseq type="decrement">
                     KEYCODE_LEFT
                 </newseq>
             </port>
             <port tag=":joystick_ly" type="P2_AD_STICK_Y" mask="255"
defvalue="128">
                 <newseq type="standard">
                     MOUSECODE_1_XAXIS
                 </newseq>