[Coco] Help with floppy disk setup - first time user

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 2 02:29:50 EST 2012

On 2/02/2012 2:26 PM, Andrew wrote:

> @Mark McDougall:
>
> Really - your only "want" is a TI-99/4A (and a Vectrex)?

You need to draw the line somewhere. I was originally only interested in
those machines that I grew up with. That started with the TRS-80 Model I
circa 1978. Hence the reason I have nothing before then. FTR I/we owned
a TRS-80 Model I, Coco, Model 4P & then Amiga 500.

Soon my interests expanded to encompass computers that friends had back
in the day - like the Apple IIe and C64 - that I had occasionally used.
Oh I should add a ZX80/81 to that list. Then they expanded again to
computers that I knew about and for various reasons I thought would be
'cool to have', like the IIGS, A1200 & Acorn A3000/Archimedes - the
TI/99A is in this class. In addition, I was offered a few freebies which
I knew little about, but have since developed an interest in -
particularly the BBC Micro, Spectrum (clone) and Mac SE/20.

As for consoles, I never owned any growing up; they were a late interest
sparked by my (very non-geeky) wife of all people. Pretty much the only
console I don't have, and for which I'd be prepared to part money with,
is a Vectrex. I'd accept a donated Colecovision, but that about rounds
it out for me.

So as for the older and rarer machines you mention - I don't really have
a burning desire for any of them. Nor the 'odd-ball' machines that
didn't make much of a ripple, like the Jupiter Ace. They're all cool in
their own way, but I don't collect just for the sake of collecting.

I think my collection atm is 'managable'; there's more than enough to
keep me busy in my retirement, and I sort-of have almost enough space to
keep them.

Not surprisingly I am most fond of those machines I owned - which
includes the Coco. I currently have a Coco3 (only) which satisfies my
'coco desire'. I try to spread my time across all my interests (I
haven't even mentioned my arcade games), and perhaps work on projects
related to each, but it's not easy.

Regards,

--
| <http://pacedev.net> |