[Coco] Help with floppy disk setup - first time user

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Feb 1 22:26:55 EST 2012

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:21:38 -0500
> From: Blake Patterson<blakespot at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] Help with floppy disk setup - first time user
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts<coco at maltedmedia.com>
>

> On Feb 1, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Sean wrote:
>
>> Is that an Apple IIgs I see?  Very nice retro setup you have there!
>
> Yep -- I was an Apple II guy back in the day, really. Have a nice GS setup down in the computer room.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakespot/sets/72157604286303744/
>
> Lots of machines down here, actually.
>
> http://www.bytecellar.com/qtvr.html

Wow! That's a seriously nice retro setup! I wish I had the room like
that for all the machines and things in my collection (I probably would,
if I didn't have the mass of books I own, nor all my other "hobby" gear
- lol).

@Mark McDougall:

Really - your only "want" is a TI-99/4A (and a Vectrex)?

While I agree that both are fine machines to have in a collection, on my
want list are a few that I will likely never own (then again, I said
that about an Altair 8800 - then managed to find one):

1. IMSAI 8080 (of all, this one is probably the easiest to obtain)
2. Cray 3 (I'd even take a 2, XMP, or YMP - heck, even a newer
air-cooled one - where I'd put it or how I would power it up, IDK)
3. CM-1, CM-5, etc (I can dream...)
4. CAM-Brain (the chances are miniscule, considering only a handful were
built)
5. An 1890 Hollerith Tabulator
6. A single brass part from a Babbage Engine (heck, I'd even take an
original blueprint)

That's probably close to order-of-likelyhood of me ever getting any of
them, with the IMSAI being the most probable (though I think I used my
luck up finding the Altair - which still needs a restoration). Of
course, that's just my list for computers; I have another list for
robotics (I wish I had an Armdroid!), and a third list for virtual
reality equipment (I came >< this close to scoring a VPL Dataglove off
Ebay last year).

Sigh. :)

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona