[Coco] OT: End of the world

Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker ranaur at ranaur.net
Thu Dec 20 21:15:29 EST 2012

Well ... the world didn`t end in Brazil. Everything here ends in samba. And
the carnival is in february. Well almost there ... :-)

"My world" ended today for a different reason.

My first CoCo is officially dead. I bought it, second hand, when I was 13.
It is was booting and recognizing the cartridges. Only the keyboard was
dead. I tried everything, and I was planning to write an arduino keyboard
replacement.

Last month I found and bought in eBay a replacement keyboard. It arrived
today.

Tried to put the new keyboard but I got no luck. The keyboard is fine. The
problem is in the PIA CHIP.  I tried to short circuit the pins of the
connector to see if I can simulate the keys, but I had no luck. It worked a
month ago when I was trying to make the arduino replacement. That`s why I
tried to buy the keyboard. But today It stopped working. It is giving 5V
only on the first pin, and 0,6 on pins 2-9.

Well it is dead. R.I.P. my friend, we had a great time together. One less
CoCo in the world, that is a sad thing, but it is not he end of the world.

I got to buy a CoCo 3 now. :)

BTW the mayan calendar issue, for me, is just a Y2K archeological bug :)