[Coco] Smalles CoCo ever "re-created"??

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu Dec 20 10:10:41 EST 2012

That was back in 2005 and was known both as the Commodore 64 30-in-1 and
the C-64 DTV, and was used in a few other inexpensive TV games products.
The engineering was led by Jeri Ellsworth and she had basically recreated
the Commodore 64 architecture, with enhancements (256 colors for one) on an
ASIC. It wasn't a perfect recreation (some of the more unique capabilities
of the amazing SID chip weren't in there, for example), but it was still
damned impressive. A similar feat was accomplished in the Atari Flashback 2
with the original Atari 2600 architecture (the other Flashback models were
emulations/simulations), led by Curt Vendel. Both the C-64 DTV and
Flashback 2 were accurate enough where you could in fact add original
accessories/hardware features, which put them beyond simple emulators. This
was possible because the lead engineers on both were able to pretty much
"sneak" the options onto the main boards. Obviously, the companies they
were creating these platforms for wanted cost control above all else and
it's interesting to note that the vast majority of future products in the
same vein eschewed this type of engineering for simple emulation, which was
far less accurate and not moddable, but was still deemed sufficient for the
target audience and the price point/margins the companies wanted to
achieve. That's why, for instance, the Atari Flashback 4, is not as
accurate as the Flashback 2. It's still nice, but there is a significant
difference.

I think the reality of both the engineering demands/costs and the
capabilities of today's low cost platforms (be they FPGA implementations or
something like a Rasberry Pi), a modern day platform would almost certainly
be a software emulation layer on some generic hardware, meaning original
peripherals simply wouldn't work. Particularly with something like the
CoCo, which is beloved by hundreds of hardcore individuals, but not
something that really anyone else even remembers, you'd have to think in
terms of what gives the best bang for the buck at the lowest cost and can
still make back a profit selling in the hundreds to low thousands. That's
clearly not an implementation like the DTV or Flashback 2 had.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and