[Coco] composite / s-video to hdmi

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 17 00:48:48 EST 2012

On Monday 17 December 2012 00:26:02 John E. Malmberg did opine:

> On 12/16/2012 12:51 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > For the best results, driving vga or better monitors, you must stay in
> > the RGB domain all the way to the db9 (or better) jack on the
> > monitor.  That leaves us with scan doublers to at least bring the
> > 15.75 NTSC time signal we have, up to at least 31.5 kilohertz for the
> > vga monitor.
>
> Gene, you must have missed my other two postings about this.
>
> Every flatscreen TV that I have seen, including the relatively cheap 24
> inch LCD ones have RCA composite video and SVGA inputs and NTSC tuners.

Today yes.  I see them getting scarce in another 5 years.

That of course will likely depend on the cable people (since they furnish
tv to about 88% of the American homes today, and I am in the remaining 12%
or so with an off air antenna that gets the full broadcast resolution from
as far as 75 air miles away) making the infrastructure investment to go
full hidef.  If they don't, and only commercial pressure for the better
picture will sway the cable CEO's to make that investment, then you could
still be right 10 years from now.  Time will tell that tale.

> Which means that they can handle the 15.75 NTSC time signal.

Thru the composite jack?  Have you ever tried to read the coco3's 80 column
screen thru a composite hookup, or on an ntsc tv?  Difficult if not near
impossible.  The bandwidth in the NTSC circuit simply is not there.

> There are reports that the COCO 3 could work with Multi-sync monitors if
> they supported 15.75 Khz sync, and I previously posted a link.

Yes they will if that mulitsync has an rgb input, I have one.  I can also
heat the basement with that NEC-3d, it draw must be at least 450 watts.

> Which tells me that all I should need is a cable to connect a COCO 3 to
> a modern flat screen TV.
>
> While S-Video can be rare on a TV, every new TV I have seen has the
> composite input and retains the NTSC tuner, and while someday they may
> be gone, I do not see it happening any time soon.

A circuit that to my eyes, is not usable when, to read text, I have to
switch it down to a 40 character screen width.

> And all the flat screen TVs that I have come with an SVGA connector.

Which, with Chris Hawks adapter, should work noticeably better than any
composite setup, whether direct composite or rf modulated composite.

> Unfortunately my COCOs are still boxed up, so I have not been able to
> try it a SVGA to COCO cable to see if it just works.
>
> Regards,
> -John
> Personal Opinion Only

Don't forget John, that I am a broadcast engineer, who has been making sure
there was a picture there when you turned on the tv, from 1962 to 2002, 40
years.