[Coco] composite / s-video to hdmi

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Dec 17 00:01:28 EST 2012

On 12/16/2012 12:51 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> For the best results, driving vga or better monitors, you must stay in the
> RGB domain all the way to the db9 (or better) jack on the monitor.  That
> leaves us with scan doublers to at least bring the 15.75 NTSC time signal
> we have, up to at least 31.5 kilohertz for the vga monitor.

Gene, you must have missed my other two postings about this.

Every flatscreen TV that I have seen, including the relatively cheap 24
inch LCD ones have RCA composite video and SVGA inputs and NTSC tuners.

Which means that they can handle the 15.75 NTSC time signal.

There are reports that the COCO 3 could work with Multi-sync monitors if
they supported 15.75 Khz sync, and I previously posted a link.

Which tells me that all I should need is a cable to connect a COCO 3 to
a modern flat screen TV.

While S-Video can be rare on a TV, every new TV I have seen has the
composite input and retains the NTSC tuner, and while someday they may
be gone, I do not see it happening any time soon.

And all the flat screen TVs that I have come with an SVGA connector.

Unfortunately my COCOs are still boxed up, so I have not been able to
try it a SVGA to COCO cable to see if it just works.

Regards,
-John
Personal Opinion Only