[Coco] OPen letter to nitros9 users

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 10 09:08:43 EST 2012

Greetings;

When Boisy announced he was stopping, I eventually found the repo had been
converted from cvs to mercurial, which is a lot more like git than cvs.
mercurial is also called hg, for its chemical abbreviation.

So I first did an hg clone and pulled the repo to my machine.  Finding that
the superdriver stuff had been re-merged into this copy, but that none of
it would build, I first did the makefile changes that made the build work
again.

Those changes have I believe been pushed back to the sourceforge repo,
however there appear to be zero links on sourceforge that allow common web
access so that anyone can pull a .dsk from a nightly build, if indeed one
is being done, the latest stuff I can find is dated 8-16-2012, broken and
entirely too long in the tooth.

So let me repeat, the cvs version of the repo is dead and out of date.  You
must use hg to access the more recent version of the nitros9 repo.

Now, I don't have my work dir setup as an hg repository, and I don't
'nightly build' just yet, only when I have adjusted something. So my most
recent build was about 30 minutes ago.

My work dir IS the nitros9 link on the front page of my web page in the
sig, and you all are welcome to download the .dsk's I just remade half an
hour ago.  If you find something wrong give me a shout.

I don't really want to be in this position because if I fall over yet
today, where are we?  Back to square one.  Not a pretty scene.

One note re the disk drive descriptors in these dsk's: save your working
versions separately, and use those in your bootlist files.

Why?  Mainly because I have no clue how big your disks are.  But you've all
had that problem from day one anyway, I just want to put emphasis on the
point.

I think I have committed and pushed back to sourceforge, all the work I
have done, so if you hg clone it, you should wind up with what I have as of
right now.

Now, if somebody can figure out how to let the users access that repo so
they can grab a current dsk from it, with the same ease you can download a
fresh dsk from my machine, the whole group of os9 users would be grateful.

There is no sense at all in hiding it under a bushel like it is now.  But I
haven't a clue how to get sourceforge to remove stale links to the cvs that
are in the way.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You k'n hide de fier, but w'at you gwine do wid de smoke?
		-- Joel Chandler Harris, proverbs of Uncle Remus
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...