[Coco] Sierra Xmas 86 demo

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Dec 9 22:04:38 EST 2012

Bill Pierce wrote:

> @Robert Gault,
> I too have been messing with the XMas86 disk and something I've noticed about all the disks in the new builds. The sector sizes are all out of whack in the dw disks and some of the others as well. None of the external dsk sizes are right 311k for 360k, 636k for 720k. These cannot be backed up normally. Some of the 40trks are dmoded as typ=21... this should be typ=20.   typ=21 is a 3.5 disk.  I haven't dmoded them all but I bet the dns=x is wrong on most. It should dns=3 for 3.5 and dns=1 for 5.25
> I would assume this is being done in the makefile/scripts that create the diks?
>
> Bill P

Can't speak to any other disks built from the NitrOS-9 package nor any "nightly
builds". I think the repository has been reverted to use mamou instead of lwasm
so nightly builds should work, but that's another issue.

Bill, what did you mean by "new builds"? Are you compiling the source code or is
these posted somewhere? If posted, what is the url.
========================

The XMas86 disk does not work from the DW3 build because the makefile is
incorrect. Here is the change that is needed.

Current
$(DSK_DW3):	all
	$(RM) $@
	$(CD) $(LEVEL2)/coco3; make
	$(OS9FORMAT_DS40) -q $@ -n$(DSK_NAME)

Correction
$(DSK_DW3):	all
	$(RM) $@
	$(CD) $(LEVEL2)/coco3; make
	$(OS9FORMAT_DW3) -q $@ -n$(DSK_NAME)

Note that the DW3 portion starts by creating a DS40 disk as does the DSK_FLOPPY
version. Unfortunately, Drivewire does not check to see if disks are single or
double sided nor will it convert LSNs as MESS will. That means the kernel can't
be found.
Even if the kernel could be found, BootDW3 and the DW3 drivers don't do double
sided disks, far as I can tell.

Robert