[Coco] Alternatives to the Raspberry PI (for CoCo emulator/server)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 8 12:50:14 EST 2012

On Saturday 08 December 2012 12:23:20 Bill Traynor did opine:

> I would include the Beaglebone on this list:
>
> http://beagleboard.org/bone
>
> It's slightly more expensive at $89 but the value is found in 1) It's
> completely Open Source.  Not binary blobs required for anything 2)
> There's a vibrant community around it, and 3) it's highly expandable
> with Capes, which are being added by the week.

It is also being looked at as a platform for the next generation of
linuxcnc because of its healthy compliment of 46 i/o lines.  Despite its
relatively slow 720 mhz clocking at the present time, we have already
turned stepper motors with it albeit at limited rpms.  For servo systems
that only need attention at nominally 1 millisecond intervals, it is
showing lots of promise.  As the arm gains cores and clock speeds, there
will come a time when it can do anything we can do with the intel D525MW
motherboard, which is currently running my pair of table top machines.
Which on my 7x12 lathe, can with a 16 tpi screw moving the carriage, with a
2 to 1 reduction gear between a 425oz/in motor and that screw, which is
being driven by an 8 step microstepping driver, can issue steps at a fast
enough rate to move the carriage at 36 to 37 inches a minute, a pretty
impressive rate for a stepper driven machine.  For the math challenged,
that means is is issuing a nice, steady, step signal at 40 kilohertz,
entirely developed in software. With a timing accuracy of 7 microseconds
error, absolute worst case.

The advantage this one has over ALL the others, is the row of i/o pins
along the sides of the card.  No problem at all in turning those into a
pair of parallel printer ports, and given 2 of those, linuxcnc can control
every aspect of a machining center such as you can see on youtube if you
search for "machining a toyota racing engine block".