[Coco] Dungeons of Daggorath disk version

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Dec 6 15:52:13 EST 2012

Charlie wrote:

> I hope that clears it up a little. Dungeons of Daggorath is available everywhere
> as a binary you can LOADM from disk.
> The particular version I attached however make the game disk based as it
> interacts with the drive for loading/saving.
>
> Charlie

OK, now I see what the problem is and how one might get this specific version to
work with Drivewire.

Chris Burke patched D of D so that it uses ROM disk I/O routines in place of
tape. What wasn't clear to me was that the disk version of the game I tried had
a loader which moved it to ROM and that the game was written for a CART.
The B&B patch identifies which Disk ROM is present DOS1.0 or 1.1 and then knows
where the needed Disk I/O routines are located. When needed, the patch causes
the game to switch from RAM to ROM mode, perform disk I/O, and return to RAM.

Now there is no reason why this can't be done with the Drivewire HDBDOS ROM with
one caveat. HDBDOS must be in ROM not loaded as a RAM image. In fact, since
HDBDOS is a patch of DOS1.1, there may not need to be any changes.
I'm not able to test this as I don't have a version of DW HDBDOS in ROM.

In principle, the game should also work with RGBDOS which any of us using
emulators or hard drive systems can test. In fact, I just tested the game with
MESS in Coco2b mode with the RGBDOS ROM and disk I/O works.

So Charlie, if you have DW HDBDOS in ROM on your system, nothing should need to
be done. Your instructions for loading and saving work although not always on
the first time. I did get some I/O errors.
ZSAVE name
ZLOAD name

Robert