[Coco] USB keyboard interface for CoCo

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at ramoth.org.uk
Thu Dec 6 08:23:54 EST 2012

On 06/12/2012 12:36, Allen Huffman wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker
> <ranaur at ranaur.net> wrote:
>> I'm not an Arduino expert but, as far as I know, the USB port on
>> Leonardo and others Arduinos works as device only, and not as an
>> USB host.
>
> Ah, yes, you are correct. I always get that mixed up. I had hoped the
> USB circuit add on (done with just a few dollars in parts) would work
> for input, but it doesn't seem like it can. So we are back to
> requiring the $20 add-on USB host shields. :(

I believe some of the USB AVRs can do USB on the go (AT90USB647 &
AT90USB1287) which should be sufficient for connecting a keyboard to,
there's also a pretty good AVR USB library (in C) LUFA :
http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/LUFA.php

Only disadvantage is that these AVRs are only available in surface mount
packages.

Cheers.

Phill.