[Coco] Have no idea what to call it, but, it WAS New tool: WIRED

Brian random.rodder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 21:50:33 EST 2012

On 12/3/2012 8:28 PM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> HDB-DOS's heritage was RGB-DOS, which focused on delivering hard drives to BASIC without sacrificing compatibility with software. It did this rather well, at the expense of flexibility, as you noted.
>
> I just couldn't get myself interested in expanding HDB-DOS beyond adding support for whatever Cloud-9 hardware came out; instead, I focused on NitrOS-9.
>
> The work that Luis and others are doing is quite welcome, and something I hoped would happen for years.

You and and a lot of people, I'm sure.

> Let's be clear: Aaron was the one who volunteered to do this, and was
> either ignored or rebuffed. There was **never** any desire expressed
> from the other side to work with Cloud-9 or our products.

I didn't write this with any intent of assigning blame or taking sides.
I thought that it was a good gesture on Aaron's part to make the offer.
Whatever the results were or are is now moot.

> And I will say this here and now: there will never, never, ever be any
> chance of that happening. There will never be collaboration or
> reconciliation… ever. Any remote, sparse, infinitesimal chance of that
> ever happening vanished into oblivion when we received an email in
> which he clearly and unambiguously indicated his intent to file a
> lawsuit against Cloud-9, as well as Mark, Aaron and myself personally.

Obviously I do not know the full story (nor does most of the CoCo
community and it should probably stay that way). Nor was I purporting to
know. I was simply stating the opinion that it would've been best for
the CoCo community as a whole had it happened. Instead we have what we
have. And yes, I'm grateful for the Cloud9 products and the work Luis
and others are doing. And if it happened the way you say it did, I do
not  blame you for feeling the way you do.

Boisy, I'm not saying I don't believe you (I certainly believe your
statement above ;) ). I'm not saying I think the claims Roger has made
publicly are true. I certainly think the things Blake and others must
feel about their experience is justified - I'd be pissed as well if I'd
paid money for a product that wasn't delivered. In fact, I bought a
keyboard or mouse adapter from little John several years ago from eBay
and that has never materialized. That's $25 I'll never see again, but,
it's not the same as paying $100 or $200 for something that is akin to
vaporware.

However, I'm simply not going to take sides in the matter of C9 vs.
Roger Taylor because I don't know the full story - again it's probably
for the best; and I was simply saying it would've been better had things
worked out in a more amicable fashion than they did. I've been a Cloud9
customer for several years and I will continue to be one in the future.

Brian