[Coco] Have no idea what to call it, but, it WAS New tool: WIRED

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Mon Dec 3 20:28:03 EST 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Luis,
>
> Thank you!!
>
> Copying directly from DriveWire to the SuperIDE is a feature that's been sorely missed with the SuperIDE/ HDB-DOS/DriveWire trifecta. We've had the ability to copy from PC to real floppy (using DriveWire), then from floppy to SuperIDE within HDB-DOS. It has always been useful, but, also inconvenient when you're in a hurry.
>

> I shudder to even send the rest of this, but...
>
> The following may well sound like I'm trying to start a war here, but, I'm not - more like just ranting a bit about what could've been.
> It may also sound like I'm trying to hi-jack a thread - that much might be true... ;-)
>
> This app that Luis wrote is one area where I felt Roger gave us more flexibility with CoCoNet. CoCoNet had (has) the ability to detect most forms of storage on your CoCo system (floppy, SIO cable, Bluetooth, DrivePak) and could move disk images around at your will. Meaning you could copy from PC based disk images to a DrivePak or floppy drive and vice-versa without having to stop and boot to another version of the OS to finish the task. Yes, the commands to mount a disk hosted on any of the devices CoCoNet could detect were a freaking nightmare to type into the CoCo since it completely lacked a server based GUI like DW 3 or 4 for disk image mounting - and typos SUCKED! Worked great with RS-DOS based disks - lacked much in the way of OS-9 support.

HDB-DOS's heritage was RGB-DOS, which focused on delivering hard drives to BASIC without sacrificing compatibility with software. It did this rather well, at the expense of flexibility, as you noted.

I just couldn't get myself interested in expanding HDB-DOS beyond adding support for whatever Cloud-9 hardware came out; instead, I focused on NitrOS-9.

The work that Luis and others are doing is quite welcome, and something I hoped would happen for years.

> And this is where I wished, hoped and prayed that Roger and the Cloud 9 guys would've buried the hatchet and collaborated on this - Roger had discussed wanting to add SuperIDE support to CoCoNet. And if I'm not mistaken, Aaron had offered to write a GUI for the CoCoNet server at one point. But I guess whatever the issues there were between them went too deep.

Let's be clear: Aaron was the one who volunteered to do this, and was either ignored or rebuffed.  There was **never** any desire expressed from the other side to work with Cloud-9 or our products.

And I will say this here and now: there will never, never, ever be any chance of that happening. There will never be collaboration or reconciliation… ever. Any remote, sparse, infinitesimal chance of that ever happening vanished into oblivion when we received an email in which he clearly and unambiguously indicated his intent to file a lawsuit against Cloud-9, as well as Mark, Aaron and myself personally.