[Coco] OS-9 is alive and well

Fri Aug 31 16:51:07 EDT 2012

Hi,

This just in from comp.os.os9 "OS-9 v5.2 for PowerPC, SH4, and X86 is
available"

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:39 AM

Highlights of the v1.3.1 update include:
- Password files can now include encrypted passwords. OS-9 now supports the
encryption of passwords that appear in the SYS/password file. Several
utilities have been added to support this feature: passutil, useradd,
userdel, and usermod.
- USB support improved. The OS-9 Configuration Wizard has been enhanced to
better support configuration of the USB. In addition, the drivers were
improved to better support USB controller discovery. Now, a single boot can
be used on multiple systems with different USB controller configurations.
- Variadic Macros supported. Ultra C/C++ now supports the definition of
macros that take a variable number of arguments. This includes support for
GNU C extensions that allow for 0 variable arguments and using a name of
your choice for the variable arguments.
- Updated time zone database.
- Many maintenance and enhancements have been resolved since the last
release.  The Release Notes document for this release is 66 pages.

Other product options include:
- Canbus for OS-9 v5.2
- EtherCAT for OS-9 v5.2
- HawkEye for OS-9 v5.2
- NetSNMP for OS-9 v5.2
- Network Security for OS-9 v5.2
- Reliance File System for OS-9 v5.2
- TrueFFS for OS-9 v5.2
- YAFFS NAND Flash for OS-9 v5.2

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:10 AM

Hi Radisys,

Do you plan to release a free version of OS-9 for 68K?
(for hobbyist use)

Best Regards,
Ken

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:13 AM
--------------------------------------
On Friday, August 31, 2012 7:06:01 AM UTC-5, KenLoach wrote:
> Do you plan to release a free version of OS-9 for 68K?

OS-9 for 68K is still an active selling product. Charging for our products
is necessary so we can provide support, make enhancements, and release new
versions.

The current release of OS-9 for 68k is v1.3.1. This release has the same
compiler (ucc_v3.1) and Hawk as the v5.0 PowerPC/X86/ARM9/SH4/SH4A release.
A lot of work went into Hawk before the v5.0 and v1.3.1 releases. Anyone
that has not already updated, really should.

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:13 AM
--------------------------------------
> On Friday, August 31, 2012 7:06:01 AM UTC-5, KenLoach wrote:
>> Do you plan to release a free version of OS-9 for 68K?
> OS-9 for 68K is still an active selling product. Charging for our products
> is necessary so we can provide support, make enhancements, and release new
> versions.
> The current release of OS-9 for 68k is v1.3.1. This release has the same
> compiler (ucc_v3.1) and Hawk as the v5.0 PowerPC/X86/ARM9/SH4/SH4A
> release. A lot of work went into Hawk before the v5.0 and v1.3.1 releases.
> Anyone that has not already updated, really should.

Don't suppose there is any chance you might consider releasing the
pre-68K (yes, I mean the 6809 stuff) including source under something
like the GPL or BSD style licenses?  :-)

bill