[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 114, Issue 26

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Aug 20 09:23:24 EDT 2012

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:05:35 -0400
> From: "Bill" <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com>
> Subject: [Coco] Auction
> To: "Coco Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> I'm getting private emails from users that are unable to register to my
> forum to take advantage of my auction, so I'm just gonna give up on trying
> to do it all myself and post everything on eBay instead.
>
> Sorry, folks, I tried.

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble. I hope the ebay route goes better
for you, though I understand (I think) why you wanted to do it yourself
for better control (?) of where your stuff went...

I tend to wonder, though, if this might not point to something missing,
namely that of a private auction listing site, perhaps even exclusively
dedicated to vintage/collector computing?

I'm really surprised (though I haven't looked - maybe it exists?) that
ebay hasn't set up a way to do private auctions; then again, they aren't
really an auction site any more (they are still in "pretend mode" as
they transition away)...

If there were a site, though - perhaps dedicated to vintage/collector
computing - designed for auctions and/or sales, that could allow the
owner of the auction invite a list of users (and only those users) into
the auction/sale; make the system somehow limit it to -only- those users
(don't know how or if this is possible - maybe a form of 2-part
authentication?)...

The auction could be open to all vintage/collectors - or only a subset
(CoCo, or Atari, or Altair) - depending on what/how the seller wants it...

Just a thought.

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona