[Coco] PAL, GAL, CPLD Programmer Needed

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Aug 14 16:29:58 EDT 2012

Kip

Yes you are right that many PAL and GAL programmers are very expensive. thatis mainly
due to the lack of use of them in new designs. The only reason you would need to program
one today is in the maintanance of older designs.

PALS and GALS are very old technology. Programming them is not a trivail task. Not all GAL
chips, say 20V10, are programmed the same. Some use different programming voltages and
periods when the programming voltage is applied. They are vendor dependant. I need to
search my old files on another hard drive to get you some ideas as to what it may take.

CPLDs are a newer version of GALs and again are somewhat vendor specific as to how they
are programmed. It is not wise to use say Xilinx tools to burn a Lattice or Altera CPLD.
CPLDs are basically bigger GALS. The major drawback for some hobbiests is that PAL and
GLA chips are most often DIP package and CPLDs are surface mount devices. You can still
find older technology CPLDs that are in PLCC packages. They may also carry a higher cost.
CPLDs today are not 5 volt tolerent. Some of the older ones like the Xilinx XC9500 series
are. Also I believe the Altera 7500 series are also 5 volt tolerent I/O. Pal and GAL chips are
all 5 volt if I remember correctly.

james