[Coco] PAL, GAL, CPLD Programmer Needed

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Aug 14 10:36:17 EDT 2012

Try http://hackaday.com/2008/12/11/how-to-programmable-logic-devices-cpld/
There is a link to a USB JTAG cable that might help. All you need is the software, the cable, and a CPLD development board that uses the JTAG protocol. Development boards are available for under $20 plus shipping. The board has a surface mount CPLD on it with the pins brought out to standard header connectors, and a JTAG connector for programming. You can wire wrap to the header pins or use connectors and cables. Cheapest way to go, but not real convenient for a PCB mounted CPLD.

http://www.piclist.com/images/www/hobby_elec/e_cpld.htm
Scroll down and click on "CPLD Programmer". Instructions to build one! You can use the USB JTAG cable above to connect to this instead of the parallel port cable. This site has lots of other CPLD info as well, should be handy!

Here's another one:
http://bitthe "OpenCores" link at the bottom, then "Browse Cores"...

Here's one on cheap FPGA boards (many under $100), but the author ended up using a $200 board...
http://tristesse.org/FPGA/CheapFPGADevelopmentBoards

Read the fifth message on this board:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22999

And one more:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/14093/what-are-my-less-expensive-options-for-getting-started-with-cplds

Note that I AM NOT a programmer or hardware guy anymore. I understand enough to follow along with what's going on here, that's about it! Don't know enough to design a circuit from scratch, just understand the concepts. Haven't done anything more than automotive electrical (including swapping EFI into 60s/70s/early 80s cars) in the past 10 years or more, no circuit design or anything like that! I've done some minor repairs and simple circuits, thats it.

--------------------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:38:42 -0400
From: "Kip Koon"<computerdoc at sc.rr.com>

After looking at Tony Distefano's 2MEG COCO Memory Upgrade I have decided to
add it to my little 6809 computer.  I also noticed to PAL he used and like
several people on this list have suggested, I'd like to use a PAL, GAL,
and/or CPLD in my current and future projects.  There is only one glitch
though, I can't find a programmer for these devices that is in a price range
that I can afford.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine