[Coco] 2MB Memory Upgrade For The Coco 3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Aug 5 15:28:45 EDT 2012

On Sunday 05 August 2012 15:17:11 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>
wrote:
> > Aaron, Sorry but I have to correct you on the "more than 512k"
> > upgrade. OS-9 sees it as regular memory and will allocate the 64k
> > workspaces for new processes as well as graphics screens from the
> > extra memory. I have a 1 meg system and use the extra memory all the
> > time. It's just automatic. NitrOS-9 has full support as well as the
> > patches needed for the graphics drivers already in place. And yes...
> > it makes for good RamDisks... I run a 720k ramdisk when I'm
> > programming in "C". Theoretically... you can have up to 4 meg... or
> > is it 8 meg now? I know Sock Master was playing around with this.
>
> Notice that I qualified my statement with "practical" :)  Have you
> really ever used more than 512k for processes in OS9?
> What software can do it?  My system runs out of system map space for
> process descriptors long before actual RAM if I try to spawn enough
> shells to fill ram.  I've asked about that on the list before, and
> noone has brought up actually using it for anything besides a ram
> disk.
>
> -Aaron

Pretty much true Aaron.  If I could ever get a level 3 boot to work, its my
understanding that system ram would then have quite a few more kilobytes to
play in, but that is one trick (the boot) I have yet to master.  I
personally would like to see all of our file managers working from their
own, isolated memory maps.  A 64k map for rbf.mn, a separate 64k map for
scf stuffs to live in, a 64k space for pipe.mn and likely a 16k
interprocess message swap in 2 more 8k pages.  But I suspect the latter
would need a huge re-write of the DP page to keep the gime mapping buffers
sane.  2, 8 byte wide buffers was _NEVER_ enough.