[Coco] 2MB Memory Upgrade For The Coco 3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 15:12:18 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> Aaron, Sorry but I have to correct you on the "more than 512k" upgrade. OS-9 sees it as regular memory and will allocate the 64k workspaces for new processes as well as graphics screens from the extra memory. I have a 1 meg system and use the extra memory all the time. It's just automatic. NitrOS-9 has full support as well as the patches needed for the graphics drivers already in place. And yes... it makes for good RamDisks... I run a 720k ramdisk when I'm programming in "C".
> Theoretically... you can have up to 4 meg... or is it 8 meg now? I know Sock Master was playing around with this.

Notice that I qualified my statement with "practical" :)  Have you
really ever used more than 512k for processes in OS9?
What software can do it?  My system runs out of system map space for
process descriptors long before actual RAM if I try to spawn enough
shells to fill ram.  I've asked about that on the list before, and
noone has brought up actually using it for anything besides a ram
disk.

-Aaron