[Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 19:48:34 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/20/2012 4:05:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gheskett at wdtv.com writes:

>Unforch, they did not tolerate the EMP's induced in the
>long  runs by nearby lightning strikes, and we had a 255' lightning rod 30

>feet out the back door, so I had to stock those in "by the tube"
>quantities.  It got "interesting" at times. ;-)

>Cheers,  Gene

We used to have a huge alarm light panel board at the plant where  I
work that had incandesant lamp driver chips on removable cards
all connected to an average 1/4 mile of solid 18 gauge solid  wire
pulled through plastic conduit in the ground.  With an "antenna"
that long every spring,
after the usual electrical storms, I would have to go to the
"big city" to buy a bag of them to replace those that had
been "cooked" on those boards.   It was an interesting  time.
Now everything is fiber optic and computer
consoles so now I spend most of my time watching

Roy