[Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Apr 20 16:05:03 EDT 2012

On Friday, April 20, 2012 03:54:16 PM Mike Pepe did opine:

> Gene - on this topic, I was under the impression that twisted pair cable
> only really worked right if the signal is balanced. If it's a
> single-ended signal, the twisting does nothing, since one side of the
> pair is grounded. Is that right?
>
> -Mike

That is pretty much true for the 'short' runs we would be involved in.  The
signal coupling between the wires tending to force a balance at the far end
wouldn't be of much help until the load end was several tens of wavelengths
away, and by that distance the cable would also be functioning as a low
pass filter anyway unless being driven with a source impedance that matched
the cables surge impedance.  For the usual smallish 2 conductor audio cable
used by the megamile in broadcast facilities, this is approximately 60
ohms.  This sort of power in the distribution amplifiers that for decent
headroom, need to be able to output 20+ volts peak to peak into both sides
of the cable even though the average level peaks at 2 volts or less, is a
major heat handling problem that I partially solved using the CMOS tlo-84
family of op-amps.  Unforch, they did not tolerate the EMP's induced in the
long runs by nearby lightning strikes, and we had a 255' lightning rod 30
feet out the back door, so I had to stock those in "by the tube"
quantities.  It got "interesting" at times. ;-)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If your hands are clean and your cause is just and your demands are
reasonable, at least it's a start.