[Coco] General Midi was Drivewire VHD's

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 16:15:53 EDT 2012

I do suggest that If you are going to play around with Ultimuse, to download the documentation package that's on my site, or read the doc page I set up. Ultimuse has a lot of complex features but geared to a simple midset. The features are there if you want them but it's silmple to just load and play. I used to see a lot of people complaining about not knowing how to install it. The installation is easy, just copy all the files on the root directory to /dd/cmds and all files in the sys dir to /dd/sys. I really need to make an automated installation disk. You must have the stdptrs, stdfonts, stdpats_2, stdpats_4, and stdpats_16 merged with your system. I just do this in my startup anyway as most graphic oriented software needs this. Then all you have to do is type "umuse3&" (without quotes.) If you omit the "&" your starting window will be unusable till you exit Umuse3.  On first run, you will be greeted with a few questions such as Hi or Lo res mouse, which mouse port, left or right. When trying to load a file, you navigate with the new directory function or the "Dir Non Scores". the load score function will ONLY show ".ume" files so you need to get to your directory before you click this or nothing will be seen. Once you find your file and load, the screen will then be drawn.
Look through all the menus, some are 2 & 3 levels deep and contain all the setup functions needed for midi. As I said.. the manual is pretty much a requirement. Ultimuse can send midi through the serial port, Coco Midi Pak (SS or GS) and through a user defined driver. These selections are under the "Midi" menu then click "Modes". The Drivewire midi driver is named "/MIDI" just like the midi pak so the 2 drivers cannot co-exsist unless one is renamed. The drivers are best installed into your boot as to not use extra memory.
I hope this didn't get too complex, but those were some of the issues I always see people having. If you have any questions, just ask.
Also on the disk is "UBox3", an Ultimuse3 jukebox. It will load and play ume files in any sequence you choose. It's handy when you just want to play some backgrond music.
Enjoy!

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com