[Coco] General Midi was Drivewire VHD's

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 03:12:27 EDT 2012

I just got through with a disk set of Lyra songs a few minutes ago and I guess I have to eat my words. Not that I'm wrong in what I was doing but in the time it was taking me. The original author of the music, Cecil Houk I think, didn't bother to change the names of instruments or channel numbers from the default. The only thing changed was the actual program number of the patch. Talk about confusing... then he sends system exclusive messages to the synth making changes that no one else would need or understand without that synth. With no knowledge of the synth ( a Casio of sorts) the only thing that allowed me to redo the instrumentation was that I knew the songs (80s pop) and could pretty much figure out the instrumentation. Now here's the kicker... these songs would not have played on any synth I know of except the original, especially with the SysEx messages going on... they could possibly pull a factory reset on another synth. These were a disk collection that was SOLD for a decent amount of money by Rulaford Research. $15-$25 a disk!!!  They have another set called the >>>Trax<<< collection that `is done a little better... they were getting them from a BBS that specialized in Midi. It goes to show ya... let the musicians make the music LMAO

In what you are saying, the biggest problem is all the different synths that were used... there is no list... because it changes from song to song. The instrument list could say trumpet @patch12, then send a bank change byte sequence later and be playing an accordion. Most disks seem to be by one author or were collected by one person and changed to thier synth. Some of these files have to be gone through completely as both Lyra and Ultimuse have a "byte" function that you can insert anywhere to send midi data between notes... ie... turn the reverb on ect. Some people were using them to send SysEx and bank changes that change the whole synth midway through. Usually there is a function to turn SysEx off so that's not as much a problem as FX changes and such. I was running into these problems with stuff I was getting from Delphi even in the 80s. The closest you will ever come to hearing these songs in thier original format other than finding manuals for the Synth (if they even listed what synth they used) is to "best guess" at the general midi equivilant. Most songs I can do pretty fast... especially if I know them, drums are trickier as NO two keys from the 80s-90s had the same percussion setup. Even the Yamaha PRS series. You would think they'd stick to some format in a series of synths... nope. No two are the same. I used to have charts on the wall around my workstation of all the synths that I came across and could get the instrument / percussion list for. The more exspensive the synth, the longer the list. The Yamaha PSR-500 that I owned was (at the time) the top of the PSR series so it had tons of Sounds, percussion and FX, so I could pretty much match anyone's stuff I downloaded. It was semi-close to GM when GM came out a few years later, so I didn't have to change too much to get the songs to work on GM.
As I said, there is no easy way. If I had all the info needed for any synth I ran across... then I could make a list for that synth and a filter could be written. But finding that info now is hard.Some synths had a community following... kind of like the Coco and you can find sites that have the info. Yamaha actually has a Japanese site that has a manual for almost everything they've ever made. It's just a lot of trouble for something so simple. I do it because I love doing it. I also make my living working with Midi and sound. So it comes natural to change the distorted guitar to #30, the Piano to #00 or #01. I do it all the time.
I will look around and see if I can find anything, but I doubt it'll be much more than the most used synths... the Casio CZ-101, the Yamaha PSR series ect. If I find some lists, I'll send you a chart with the GM equivilants. Me? I'll keep doing what I'm doing because it's fun. And besides... I get to listen to the songs as I work :-)

Big Update coming soon!!
Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com