[Coco] Drivewire VHD's

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 21:01:08 EDT 2012

I agree... to a certain extent. As of now, I know of at least 4 good sites that have most anything you want as far as Coco software... all on individual disks, as well as disks (d0.dsk, d1.dsk ext) full of "stuff". I personally (over several years) have downloaded these FTPs and repositories in thier entirity. For the most part they have become a jumbled up mess. They may have started with some orginization but once they got overwhelmed with "Newly Recieved" items... the organizers couldn't keep up with flow of disks.... a lot of which are zipped and no way to catagorize them without downloading, unzipping, sorting and the re-uploading. I have spent the past three years going through the 8 gigs of stuff I've downloaded, sorting through duplicates, non Coco stuff, and useless HTML files and ended up (so far) with about 4 gig of Coco software. Some programs have at least 20 different copies in the same FTP.

What I am trying to acomplish is ONE source for the most populer retail software... RSDOS and OS9. The VHDs will be labled as to thier "theme" (Apps, Utils, ext..) as well as thier OS (... RSDOS, OS9.. ect). On RSDOS VHDs, the first disk will contain a text file with all contents, drive no. ect as well as a Findfile program that searches ALL 256 drives for a given string... "RUN"FINDFILE"<ENTER>... "File to find? ["TW128"<ENTER>]. No programs piled all on one disk. most will be duplicates of the original retail disk or as close as I can get to it. There will also be an organized library of PDF manuals to match the software (when available). That has probably been one of the biggest things.... the manuals have been in several places and the software in others. And yes I do have a collection of individual disks... matched with manuals when I could find them. As I said... that's already there.... if you want to wade through the DIRs and find them. Don't get me wrong... I applaud all those who have contributed through the years. We now have resources to about anything Coco... only a few things missing and they are probably out there if we search a little harder.

OS9 VHD disks are easy... just create a directory for each software package and copy it.

These disks are not for the searching with the PC or linking to the site.. they are for the CoCo, Drivewire and HDBDOS (or VCC and RGBDOS). They are not particurly for running, but an Archive. They will be layed out in a way as to make searching them with a Coco, a breeze. Also will be included, complete directions for mounting and running. As most RSDOS software has to be run on individual disks anyway.

For those who don't like BIG disks full of stuff? Don't download them... as I said, the individuals are there for the searching... I found them.

Try...
ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/ (need reworking something awful)
http://www.thecocolounge.com/index.htm (nice game selection, but in zips)
http://goyim.dyndns.org:8080/coco/ (pretty organized)
https://sites.google.com/a/aaronwolfe.com/cococoding/home/docs (good source for OS and programming manuals)
ftp://www.rtsi.com/ (for some reason RTSI has been passworded)(mostly individual files, not disks)

And that's just the main ones.
I hope to start uploading the ORGANIZED VHDs within a couple of weeks along with a manual package for each VHD

"To each his own" said the old woman as she kissed the cow....

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com