[Coco] Drivewire VHD's

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:14:00 EDT 2012

Maybe I am the odd man out, but I find these massive collections of
hundreds of disks into a single file very inconvenient.  No matter how
good a job the indexer/organizer does of documenting the contents (and
often it's not a very good job at all) you still end up having to
search through the thing to really figure out what is what.  Then you
have the challenge of bringing the one or two things you want out of
this monster image into your actual working environment, which
depending on your setup can be non trivial.

To me, it would serve much better to keep each disk (or each program
at least, in the case of a software that uses multiple disks)
separate.  That's not to say you couldn't still organize things, but
packaging the actual disks together into a big image containing lots
of different software doesn't seem like a good technique.  Using
simple directories or better yet web pages describing the content
would be more useful.

Curtis Boyle's CoCo games page is a great example of "doing it right"
IMHO:  http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/coco_game_list.html
Tons of great software along with a very nicely done organization,
screenshots documentation and history.  Not to say every software
collection would or could be that well put together, just an example
of a site I find very handy.

DW4 has lots of tools for dynamically bringing in individuals disk
images or even individual files from nearly any source (local disk/web
site/ftp/etc) with just a click or two.  For instance, you can browse
Curtis Boyle's games webpage right in DW4 and a single click on any of
the disk images there mounts them ready to play on your CoCo.   The
upcoming version 4.1 has a built in library manager that works sort of
like iTunes or other content managers.  It makes organizing your
software library and finding new software from the internet very
simple.

Just my $0.02.