[Coco] COCO Robot update.

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Sun Apr 8 01:25:49 EDT 2012

Steve,

My understanding was that the robot control was to be built "in parts"
and that the OP was looking for a way to "blink" leds at random rates.
While that can be done with "discrete" electronics I've come to the conclusion
that these types of things are better done with microcontrollers (not microprocessors),
pics, etc. Let's face it $3 for an 8pin DIP microcontroller is going to be able
to do a lot more then $3 in 555 timers, resistors, caps, etc!

While the larger PICs are capable of doing a lot on there own they are by definition
intended to work under the control of a more capable processor. When I first started
working with them a year or so ago that fact went against the grain for me. I kept trying
to do everything with a single controller. Then it dawned on me that I'm better off using
2,3 chips of lower capability under the control of something more powerful then trying to
do it all from one very powerful chip.

Currently I'm working with the parallax "propeller" (an 8 "core" controller) and their discontinued
"SX" pics. Both can be programmed in Basic as well as assembly. The propeller can also be programmed
in forth and C!! As soon as I'm done with my current project I'm going to look into the picax. I think
it can be used for a number projects I have in mind. Unfortunately none involve the coco. :-(

The Other Frank